Are you passionate about supporting people living with pain? Do you want to contribute to making a significant impact on the health outcomes of individuals and families? Are you interested in learning coaching tools and methods to empower people to make meaningful changes for their health?
Coaching for Health is a telephone-based lay coaching program designed to help people living with pain learn self-management skills, regain function, and improve their well-being. As a volunteer, you will be trained in highly specialized coaching techniques that use transformative dialogue to empower people to change unhelpful health-related behaviours, and establish and sustain helpful ones.
We provide our volunteers with intensive training, ongoing support, and continuing education courses, as well as a possibility to embark on a new career path towards a professional coaching certification tied to hours of volunteer service.
- Personal growth and facility in one’s own self-management;
- Skill development, i.e. coaching, communication and interpersonal skills, impacts/dynamics of chronic pain;
- Ongoing training tied to hours of service at an accredited institute that could lead to a new career path and a professional coaching certification (ACC level);
- Obtain a reference letter for academic or employment purposes after satisfactory completion of commitment;
- Experience opportunities for networking with health care and social service providers and organizations.
Minimum time commitment:
Completion of 30+ hours of training, including home/online preparation and a minimum of four feedback meetings with a more experienced volunteer or staff. 100 hours of shifts (approximately 4 hours per week) over 8 to 12 months. Attendance at a majority of training/reflection sessions held 6 times per year.