COVID-19 update: To support physical distancing, all in-person groups have moved online.
Pain Support and Wellness Groups offer an opportunity for people living with persistent pain to meet regularly and build a community of support while learning about pain, pain management and coping strategies. Groups meet every second and fourth Tuesday of the month with alternating mid-day and evening sessions. Each 90-minute session will allow participants to share their experiences, discuss self-management skills and take part in gentle movements as a group.
Please note: Pain Support and Wellness Groups are for BC residents only.
Joining an online Pain Support and Wellness Group can help you:
- Feel held and grounded by a supportive community
- Be seen, heard, and supported exactly as you are
- Connect with people who understand what it takes to live with pain
- Talk openly and honestly about your life with pain in a safe and confidential environment
- Feel more empowered by being in a community of people with shared experience
- Learn new information about pain and coping
- Increase confidence and skills to live well with pain
- Feel that you belong
- Feel hopeful and energized
- Socialize and have a good time!
Frequently asked questions
Pain Support and Wellness Groups are free but they require registration. To join a group, simply register by clicking on the group you would like to attend at the bottom of this page. The link will take you to Eventbrite, where you can select which meeting(s) you would like to attend for the region you have selected. After registering, you will receive an email confirmation with a link to join the group by Zoom videoconferencing from your computer, smartphone or tablet, or by calling in from your telephone. At the scheduled group start-time, simply click on the link or dial the phone number provided in the email.
To access an online meeting by computer, smartphone or tablet, you can download the Zoom videoconferencing app for free. If you are using a computer and do not wish to download the software, you will also have the option to connect to Zoom through your web browser when you click on the meeting URL. Please note that we recommend downloading the app as the web version has limited functionality and works best on the Chrome browser. More information about getting started with Zoom is available here.
To access an online meeting by phone, simply dial the phone number and, when prompted, enter the meeting ID provided in the registration confirmation email a few minutes before the meeting start time.
Please note: the username you choose when registering with Zoom will be visible to all other members in attendance. If you wish to remain anonymous, choose a username that does not include your real name.
Pain Support and Wellness Groups are intentionally kept small – with up to 10 participants for each meeting – so that everyone can have a chance to share and feel supported and heard.
Group facilitators are peers – people who have lived experience with pain. Peer-facilitators ensure every member is respected and heard. Active participation is voluntary; there is no pressure to share and speak – listening participation is very welcome. The online meeting will open 10 minutes before the scheduled start of the session and the meeting will start on time. To maximize your time at the meeting and minimize disruptions for group members please log in before the scheduled start-time. The duration of the meeting will be 90 minutes, including a short break.
We co-create the group together following a suggested group meeting structure:
- Welcome, facilitator introductions, Pain BC and Pain Support and Wellness Group introductions
- Participant introductions and brief check-in
- Presentation of educational materials on selected topic
- Group discussion and sharing on the topic
- Discussion wrap up
- Mindful relaxation and closing
Because space is limited, we respectfully request that participants attend all sessions for which they register. If you need to cancel a reserved spot, please email email@example.com with as much advance notice as possible so that the place can be made available to someone on the waitlist.
Once registration for a meeting session has reached capacity, all new registrants will be placed on the waitlist. We will offer any newly available group session spots to people on the waitlist in the order they joined the list.
Before you register
All registrants must read and agree to the terms of the Pain Support and Wellness Group Comfort Agreement at registration. Read the agreement here.
We also ask that you agree to the following guidelines:
- When you register, you will receive a link to attend the group by Zoom videoconference. Please do not share this link with anyone else. In order to ensure meeting confidentiality, each registrant must have an individual link and password.
- If you know you won't be able to join a meeting that you have registered for, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Most meetings have a wait list of people who would love to join a group so they can have an opportunity to feel the support and understanding of others with pain. If you can't use your spot, please let us know so we can pass it on to someone on our wait list.
- Please respect the start times of the groups by being on time. The groups will be locked 10 minutes after the start time.
To register, please choose from one of the following regional online meetings (note: registration closes 11 hours prior to each scheduled meeting):
Fraser Valley region
Northern BC region
Tri-Cities/New Westminster region
Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond region
Vancouver Island region
Men's Only Group
This new offering from Pain BC is the only support group in BC designed to specifically address the issues and needs of men living with pain. The group is facilitated by men with lived experience of pain and is open to self-identified men from any region of the province.
Please note: Online group sessions are not recorded by Pain BC and are set up in such a way that participants cannot record the sessions using the Zoom platform. However, while we ask participants to agree not to record any portion of a group session using a personal device, we are unable to guarantee they will comply with this requirement.